Saturday 2 May 2015

Bargainous Nails

I see a lot of talk about higher end or more expensive nail polishes, but for some people that simply isn't an option. I mean, yes the Nails Inc Victoria Beckham polishes look stuh-ning, but are they really worth £25?

I'm always on the hunt for a bargain, so when I saw that MUA (otherwise known as Make-Up Academy) do a range of teeny polishes for just £1 a go, I was definitely intrigued...

 

From L-R the colours which I've swatched are: Moody Mink, Pistachio Ice Cream, Plum Noir, Red Rose, Natural Days, and the pink which isn't on my fingers is Amaretto Crush.

The first thing I noticed was the range of colours - I picked all of mine up in Superdrug, and in my local store in particular there was actually a decent range of different shades, ranging from darks to lights to brights - something for everybody! The second thing I noticed was the price! Yes they're small bottles, but for £1 each you can't really go wrong. They're a great handbag/travel size because, let's face it who wants to lug a big heavy bottle around with them?

The formula does vary from bottle to bottle, some only need 2 coats whereas some need 3 (in particular the pale shades) and they aren't a really long-lasting product. However, for me I've found that they're great for trying out a colour that I'm either not sure will suit me or that I'm not sure I'll get much wear out of. In particular the mint green is gorgeous but I know I'm only going to use it once or twice a year!

I've found that with a good top coat (hello Seche Vite...) I can get around 2-3 days out of these with no chips or wear around the tips, which for me is pretty darn good for the price!

The application is also something which is a bit hit-and-miss, which I guess does fall along with the formula. The brushes are very thin so it can take a fair few strokes to cover one nail, which can lead to the odd streak in your first (and maybe second) coat.

All in all I think that for the price, they're pretty good polishes! They come in some really pretty shades and are perfect for taking away with you as you can fit 2 or 3 of your fave colours in your make-up bag!

I really recommend that you give these bad boys a try, and for a quid, who cares if you only use it once?

No comments:

Post a Comment