Tuesday 12 May 2015

Get The Glow


I'm sure it's not just me that turns into a real tanorexic as soon as the warmer months hit - along comes Spring and before you know it you're having to get those pins out! I'm not going to lie to you all and make out that I'm the image of perfect sun safety, as I love a good ol' bit of sunbathing (I never allow myself to burn though), but the majority of the time I'm topping up my colour from a bottle, along with the rest of the UK!

My first tanning step is always to prep the skin with a deep, gritty scrub in the bath or shower - I love the Cocoa Brown Tough Stuff (£5.99) as the grains are pumice rather than an artificial product, so it's a bit better for the environment. This is seriously grainy, and it sloughs away dry patches and bumpy arms in no time, so I usually use this 1-2 times per week for a few weeks and then the day before I want to tan up (just remember to follow with an intensive moisturiser!)

I'm a bit funny about using fake tan on my face, so when Clarins brought out the Golden Glow Booster (£19.00) drops I was over the moon! I pop 3 drops into my moisturiser around 2-3 times per week to build up a natural and even glow to my face - so easy and fuss free!

Generally, for my body, I opt for a gradual tan, as I find the colour to be more natural and fool-proof. I've been using Dove Summer Glow in Medium-Dark Skin (£5.25) for at least 4 years, and I'll keep going back to it for many more.

If I want a quick and dark glow then I'll choose something like the Autograph Self Tan (£8.50), which provides a dark tan in just 4 hours and one application - result - there's a review coming soon about this! I'm also a big fan of mousse tans such as St Moriz and St Tropez, although the texture of these isn't the best for those with dry skin. To get that foolproof application I really recommend using a mitt, regardless of the type or texture of the tanner that you're using. This one is from Primark and costs just £2, bargain!

Cream products are ideal for the warmer months, as they don't sit on the skin in the same way that powder products do. I recently discovered this Bourjois Paris Bronzing Primer (£9.99) and I just can't get enough - I buff mine in using the Real Techniques Stippling Brush (£11.99) for the most natural, sheer look. I then top up my cheekbones and temples with a hint of contour using the NYC Sunny Bronzer (£1.99) - this is so cheap and yet so good, with just the right amount of red and brown tones in it.

So now you're all tanned (and smelling of biscuits, lovely), what's next? I always associate a deep sunkissed look with fresh skin and lots of freckles. I know you're probably looking at the above picture and wondering where on earth I'm taking this, but just trust me for now...

This is the part that I think is truly genius - oh the freckles! I bet you were all thinking I'd gone mad with that eyebrow pencil, right? Wrong! Many brands have brought out freckle pencils, but the most natural thing I've found is this Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel (£2.99). This colour is quite warm toned, so it wouldn't work on everyone's brows, but I find it to be the exact same colour as my freckles, which is what gave me the idea. I tend to get quite freckly in summer anyway, but once you've put a bit of base on these can quickly be hidden. Whenever this happens I dot this pencil across the top of my forehead, the bridge of my nose and just under my eyes - use varying pressure and smudge any that come out too perfect, and et voila you've got yourself a gorgeous set of frecks - my tip for this would be to make sure the pencil is nice and sharp before each use!

Hopefully this has given you a few ideas of products to use, but if you have any to add to the list then I'd love to hear about them...

No comments:

Post a Comment